[Framework-Team] Middleware render on Plone 5

Ramon Navarro Bosch ramon.nb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 16:24:43 UTC 2013

2013/10/8 David Glick (Plone) <david.glick at plone.org>

>  On 10/8/13 1:38 PM, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:
>
> I've been sprinting today on the middleware rendering subject and this are
> my points to be discussed :
>
>  * Without direct access (with diazo) to Plone we will not be able to
> access @@manage-viewlets so we will need some control panel that decides
> which viewlet should be rendered on the middleware for diazo ?
>

> I guess you are asking how to disable some viewlets that are not used in
> the theme, so that you can avoid the overhead of rendering them?
>
> We can disable diazo for the manage-viewlets page. But it may be better to
> have a more conventional control panel where you can click a checkbox to
> show/hide each viewlet.

That's my idea.

>  * The main goal I'm looking for is reducing the amount of things that
> are beeing rendered on plone before diazo. So my idea is to implement a
> IMainTemplate view that renders the main template depending on the viewlet
> managers that are active. Also in case it's a browser request from toolbar
> ( we can mark with some interface ) render only the content part with some
> possible viewlets managers before or after. Toolbar is only rendering the
> content of the edit page and doesn't make any sense to render all the page
> for this requests.
>

> The current main_template already has the ajax_request flag to disable
> rendering of most viewlet managers. Do we really need something new?

I know the ajax_request flag that hides most of the rendered viewlets, just
trying to figure out a way that is customizable, enables calls from toolbar
to get just content and nearby viewlets. If we move main_template to a
browser page we have more options to do it in a clear way and easier to
customize, no ?

I don't know which is the status of the tiles project but creating a tile
for content when we need the content by itself would be a step forward ?

So aside to decide what is going to be rendered on plone I think that it's
needed to provide and easy customizable way to decide what's going to be
rendered on different scenarios (toolbar request, diazo request, .... ) so
it's much more aproachable to create custom layouts for integrators.

>  * So we render the viewlets that have been said to be rendered, the view
> of the content and the portlets ( we could integrate plone_layout and plone
> view on this main_template view ). The question is how we show it:
>
> * We need to find a a way that it's easy for themeeditor to map the
> content to the diazo theme. Maybe a list of elements
> (viewlets/portels/contents) instead of seeing the actual sunburst view.
>
>  * We need to discard XML for the user content as they can write non
> valid XML and we need to render the view of the content with the custom
> browser view.
>
>  * We need to use the same id's we have now on the main_template to
> provide BBB on diazo themes ?
>
>  * What about js registry and css registry ? we need to render the bunch
> of js/css that are needed on addons and the one's that are conditionals
> (logged in and aren't not on toolbar)
>

>  I'm thinking on small steps that are affortable to provide a better
> "diazo only" concept on Plone 5.
>
>  We did some tests, creating a main_template-remove on Products.CMFPlone
> and did some performance tests having a bit better performance.
>
>  If somebody knows some work done on the same direction, or have some
> time, I'll try to sprint on it tomorrow also so I can write a PLIP.
>
>  Ramon
>

> 2013/10/2 Johannes Raggam <dev at programmatic.pro>
>
>>  On Die, 2013-10-01 at 15:58 +0100, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> twice the page is a waste of energy and a possible missunderstanding for
>> integrators / developers ( we will have the frontend, the backend of
>> widgets, the native rendering ... )
>> to change the main_template to export the structure of plone instead of
>> a rendered page, different sections with the viewlets, with the
>> portlets, the content, .... and on diazo rules it would be much easier
>> to define the rules. As right now is the moment to discuss about this
>> subject(diazo theme is really in early step and plone5 is a possible
>> target to change this), my idea is to talk about it today at FWT meeting
>> if it's ok with you.
>> > So to check my understanding: you are saying main_template exposes
>> something very simple, e.g. a pile of divs with sensible ids, and then
>> Diazo makes it visually appealing?
>> > If so, that makes sense to me, at least once we have good "out of the
>> box" Diazo themes.
>>
>>  What if we expose each of these building blocks via HTTP and let diazo
>> fetch them via the href attribute?
>>
>> This way we can also provide alternative dynamic user interfaces, where
>> we fetch the contents for a page via Javascript AJAX calls.
>>
>> Johannes
>>

>> --
>> programmatic  web development
>> di(fh) johannes raggam / thet