[Framework-Team] Middleware render on Plone 5

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Tue Oct 8 20:46:13 UTC 2013

On 10/8/13 1:38 PM, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:
> I've been sprinting today on the middleware rendering subject and this
> are my points to be discussed :
>
> * Without direct access (with diazo) to Plone we will not be able to
> access @@manage-viewlets so we will need some control panel that
> decides which viewlet should be rendered on the middleware for diazo ?

I guess you are asking how to disable some viewlets that are not used in
the theme, so that you can avoid the overhead of rendering them?

We can disable diazo for the manage-viewlets page. But it may be better
to have a more conventional control panel where you can click a checkbox
to show/hide each viewlet.

> * The main goal I'm looking for is reducing the amount of things that
> are beeing rendered on plone before diazo. So my idea is to implement
> a IMainTemplate view that renders the main template depending on the
> viewlet managers that are active. Also in case it's a browser request
> from toolbar ( we can mark with some interface ) render only the
> content part with some possible viewlets managers before or after.
> Toolbar is only rendering the content of the edit page and doesn't
> make any sense to render all the page for this requests.

The current main_template already has the ajax_request flag to disable
rendering of most viewlet managers. Do we really need something new?