[Framework-Team] Middleware render on Plone 5

Timo Stollenwerk tisto at plone.org
Tue Oct 1 15:51:47 UTC 2013

Am 01.10.2013 17:22, schrieb Giacomo Spettoli:
> +1, I totally agree with this approach. I think it's the natural
> evolution of rendering contents since diazo came out. Actually I already
> thought on this for a while, and my idea was to switch to an xml output
> but that would be hard to achieve and the advantages would be very few.
> So html (5) it's fine too.

Ramon and I already discussed the XML vs. HTML issue. There are two
problems with XML:

1) What do we present on the left side of the diazo editor?

2) If you include HTML fragments in XML, special characters are escaped
which makes it pretty unreadable. We could use XSLT in the browser to
render XML. Though this only works in newer browsers.

Therefore I tend to prefer an HTML5 output for now that is valid XML as
well. Also because it is probably easier to migrate the existing
structure and keep backwards compatibility. Though, all of this is still
open for debate of course.

Timo