[Framework-Team] Arnhem Sprint PLIP Champions Wanted!

David Glick (Plone) david.glick at plone.org
Tue Nov 5 17:50:42 UTC 2013

On 11/5/13, 9:40 AM, Rok Garbas wrote:
> Quoting David Glick (Plone) (2013-11-05 18:15:21)
>> On 11/4/13, 10:36 PM, Timo Stollenwerk wrote:
>>> I also started to write a PLIP for the removal of selected portal tools:
>>>
>>> https://dev.plone.org/ticket/13770
>>>
>>> Since I won't be able to attend the full sprint (only two days) it might
>>> make sense if somebody else would champion that PLIP (at least for the
>>> sprint). @David?
>> Yep, I can be the champion for the tool removal.
>>
>>> Another PLIP that I would like to see is to move all catalog indexes in
>>> Plone to use unicode instead of utf-8 encoded strings. I don't want to
>>> add another PLIP that I personally won't have time to work on though.
>> +0.5. It's a good idea but it'll probably mean a lengthy upgrade step.
>> If we do it we should consider giving FieldIndex and KeywordIndex the
>> ability to automatically decode bytes as utf8 while indexing.
>>
>> Also we should review whether we really need all our catalog indexes.
>> For example right now we have id and getId which is just silly.
>>
> if i remember correctly you've been also thinking to create ReferenceIndex
> right? so we can ditch reference_catalog or not to rely on crazy z3c.relations
> stuff.

Yes, the idea is to have all relations (whether defined as Archetypes
references or z3c.relationfield relations) automatically indexed by one
index in portal_catalog, so that you avoid the need for duplicating
indexes and metadata in other catalogs. Also to help remove the
Archetypes dependency that still exists in things like linkintegrity. It
wouldn't handle the fancy transitive queries that the zc.relation
catalog does, but it would handle simple lookup of backreferences which
is all that we need in core. And it would let you do queries that
involve relations and some other criteria ("give me all the documents in
the foo folder that were created less than a month ago and have a
reference to item X")

I have a proof-of-concept implementation that needs some more work to
integrate. (Fun fact: it was mostly written during a Seattle Plone
gathering on Fulvio's sailboat.) If someone else is interested in
working on it I can add some notes and post what I have to github.