[Framework-Team] Shared Folder on PAM

Ramon Navarro Bosch ramon.nb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 12:10:21 UTC 2013

Hey FWT,

There is a use case on multilingual that I can't find a clean solution and
all implementation I do I feel like they are really hacky.

* Introduction *

There is a folder ( language root folder and navigation root ) for each
language where the user stores the different content on each language.

The problem is on shared content. Content that is in a neutral language and
needs to be seen on different language root folders. The desired solution
should allow users to create content that is seen on different languages
and when you see them it looks like you are still on the navigation root
from the language you are browsing.

* Actual solution *

There is a 'shared' folder on the root that is set to neutral language. We
patch the catalog to show it's content on the language root folders.

It leads a lot of problems, for example, we can't order the content on the
shared folder. The patch is not nice to use ( we want to remove all portal
catalog patches ). When we move to the shared content we need to patch
again the catalog to see the language content.

* Possible solutions *

- Removing the shared folder, moving the shared content to the root of the
plone site, using Acquisition to get the content on the place, patching
catalog to show them, creating a IOrdering adapter for language root
folders. Cons : patching catalog, we are using acquisition to get the
content.

- Using something similar to collective.alias to create an alias inside the
language root folder, they are alias to neutral content. The alias will be
a 'shadow' copy of the real element with traversing inside and possible
parameters mapping. Cons : collective.alias is old and a bit hacky to do it.

- Using language root folders to deliver the content that's on the root as
it's himself. Overwriting the traversing functions on the container to get
the neutral content inside the language root folder for the catalog,
folder_listing, traversing,...

I know it's a complex problem without a clear solution but this use case is
really common ( Members folders for example ) and I would like to find some
clean solution to it.

Thanks !

Ramon

--