[Framework-Team] plone.app.multilingual

johannes raggam raggam-nl at adm.at
Mon Feb 18 12:09:10 UTC 2013

hi ramon,

here are some answers from me - personal opinions, nothing FWT official:

> First of all a small analysis of what is in Plone core right now:
>
> * Nowadays there is an interface on CMFPlone that is called
> ITranslatable never used by neither LP or PAM. This is an old idea
> that is deprecated right now,
Basically, a ITranslateable interface sounds like a good idea.

> * There is a plone.app.i18n viewlet that allow to change the
> language on the plone ui if you select more than one language.
> Also a bunch of vocabularies that serves content languages.
plone.app.i18n, plone.i18n and i18n stuff in P.CMFPlone are - as many
other functionalities in plone - hot suspects for consolidation and
merging into plone.app.multilingual (for the core-addon) and
plone.i18n (for core stuff).
it would be nice to reduce the spreading of functionality from many
packages to a few. maybe this also means giving up the plone.* and
plone.app.* dualism - we should discuss this in a FWT meeting.

> * There is a control panel that only allows to select one language
> for the site. That has changed recently as it was possible to
> select more than one language to allow UI possiblities
IMHO, this should go away from plone.app.controlpanel into a i18n package.

> * There is LanguageTool on the ZMI that allow to select the
> possible languages of the site and select the negotiation policies
... which we wouldn't need, if all options are exposed in the control
panel.

> * Define where ITranslatable interface should be, we've been
> talking with timo about it, contenttype ? CMFPlone ? multilingual
> ?
plone.i18n?

> * Join Selector Viewlet so it's the same viewlet with different
> policies depending on if multilingual is installed [implemented]
>
> * Join Language Control Panel, add again the option to select
> multiple languages and a negotiation policy checkers so user can
> select how to decide the language of the site
...and deprecate the ZMI tool

> * Define a way to get/set the language on contenttypes that is
> over all the content types, somethign like an ILanguage adapter.
i don't know if that helps, but i have used an IEventAccessor which is
a getter/setter wrapper around AT and DX content objects and allows an
unified access to Dexterity and Archetypes objects. that could be of
some use for p.a.multilingual too.

> * Join vocabularies that are on plone.app.i18n and multilingual
>
> * Find a way to have a shared folder for language independent
> content friendly with plone and without the need to have a patch
> on the catalog ( with the LRF the patch on the catalog is not
> needed any more )

- --
programmatic  web development
di(fh) johannes raggam / thet