[Framework-Team] [Plone-developers] 4.3 PLIPs – Where are we at?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:01:49 UTC 2012

Hi framework team,

On 17 January 2012 19:35, Eric Steele <ericsteele47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Implementers!
>
> The Framework Team needs work to do! We've just ended a 3 minute long
> conference call which went something like:
>>> Any updates?
>> *collective shrug*
>
> Don't let this happen. If we start allowing the FWT to have free time,
> they'll expect it in the future, and it'll be all downhill from there. Work
> stoppages, strikes, dogs and cats living together…
>
> Please, take a moment and leave a 1-2 sentence update on your PLIP ticket so
> that we know where you're at. It'll make next week's conference call
> substantially more productive.

Nathan and I have both had IRL distractions, but we still really want
to see the in-Plone theme editor included
(http://dev.plone.org/ticket/12227).

I think the new control panel and theme mapper are both pretty much
complete. The file manager works, though Nathan feels we could improve
the JS implementation with some refactoring. The default "new" theme
is very rudimentary, and whilst we had some volunteers to make a
better one, no-one has managed to deliver one yet, so this needs to be
pushed.

I know I should know this, but can you remind me of the timescales
here? What I'd suggest is that we create a "proper" PLIP buildout
(right now, you need to check out the branch from github and build its
own included buildout) and get some review as-is. We can the put out a
call to help fix what may end up being improvement suggestions by the
FWT, which I'd expect to include the default theme and maybe some of
the JS code.

Personal time's somewhat at a premium, but I'd hate for this to bitrot
as it's basically already there and, IMHO, quite nice and cool. If you
could help me understand what needs to happen by when, I'd be
grateful.