[Framework-Team] BrowserID

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 20:21:21 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 20:25, Alex Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:
> Was asked to put this on your radar by Mozilla:
>
> https://browserid.org/developers.html
>
> I believe it's a better solution than stuff like OpenID for the average
> user. Feedback (on both the approach, and whether we should add it to Plone)
> welcome!

The browserid.org site doesn't really tell you what it is, only how to
implement it (I didn't watch the video) and I had to dig hard to find
a description of what it actually is. It is explained in
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Identity/VerifiedEmailProtocol and at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozillaID/Spec it says there is a javascript
fallback implementation for existing browsers.

It seems reasonable enough. It would seem most compelling for mobile
devices where the sign-in process is rather painful at present, but
that requires built in support on those browsers. Without built in
support by browsers it's not terribly compelling as it doesn't give
you anything over openid, and many users already have openid accounts.

Laurence