[Framework-Team] Reworking the PLIP Lifecycle | discussion

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sat Feb 26 10:15:32 UTC 2011

On 2011-2-25 21:02, Elizabeth Leddy wrote:
>     I cannot remember any Plone releases that only took 6 months - even
>     when we tried hard. I'd usually expect a 50% overrun from any stated
>     timeline, so while aiming for 6 months we can manage to do a release
>     after 9 months. We'd have to aim for a 3-4 months cycle to actually be
>     able to do two releases in a year.
>

> Excellent points.
>
> About how long would you say it takes to flush out the alphas and betas?
> It would be great to say "6 month cycle, feature freeze 4 months in" or
> something specific like that.

Realistically you can spend forever doing alphas and betas, since no
matter what you say people never seem to start doing real testing until
you declare something release critical or make a real release. It's
almost tempting to just skip doing betas and go straight to release
candidate when all PLIPs have been merged. 2 months for beta/release
candidate state should suffice.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.