[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 01:58:45 UTC 2010

Jon Stahl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Martin Aspeli<optilude+lists at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Geir Bækholt wrote:
>>> YES! — And let's make sure to rename it soon, before it gets widespread
>>> mainstream acceptance
>> If someone has a really great name, I'd consider it, but I think the ship
>> may've sailed. Renaming now is likely to cause a lot of confusion.
>
> How about something very simple like "Theme Builder"?
> (collective.themebuilder).  Short, says what it does, sounds
> "approachable."   We can pretty easily refer to it as "Theme Builder
> (formerly XDV)" for a little while.
>
> What I learned in the last year at Groundwire (formerly ONE/Northwest)
> is that changing the name of something is easier than you'd think, if
> the thing you're renaming is something people like and want to work
> with. :-)

It's not *quite* that easy, though, because people will have things like
collective.xdv in their buildouts. If an "upgrade" means installing
something else, then in the worst case that something else could
actively conflict with an old installation, and we're in trouble.

It's also not so easy because at least two books in print mention XDV,
as do three or four tutorials on plone.org.

I think we need a damned good reason to rename, more so than "this name
is cooler". I also think we should ask the broader community's reaction
first.