[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 09:29:18 UTC 2010

Tom Gross wrote:
> On 03/12/2010 04:07 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Hi there,

>> On the "future" side we have:
>>
>> - Chameleon
>> - Deco / Blocks
>> - Dexterity
>> - WSGI
>> - xdv as the default theming story
>
> Is there still discussion space to choose between xdv and Deliverance.
> I'm not to deep in the subject but I have heard that Deliverance can be
> used with other web-applications, but xdv is Plone specific.
> If this is true, Deliverance would open Plone to a broader community.

Where did you hear that? It's not correct. ;-)

Deliverance is a Python-based implementation. It is used either as a
standalone proxy or in a WSGI pipeline. As such, it may be attractive to
people with a WSGI-oriented stack. It also has more client-side tools
and is generally broader in scope than XDV.

XDV is an XSLT-based implementation. You compile theme + rules into an
XSLT, which is then deployed either in a WSGI pipeline step, or in a web
server like nginx or Apache. As such, it is even broader in scope in the
sense that it's not tied to Python.

collective.xdv is a Plone control panel + hook to apply an XDV theme
without the need for a fronting web server. This is a good solution for
people with no further integration needs. However, the same theme +
rules can be compiled and deployed as an XSLT if that's desirable.

Probably the most important deciding factor is that XDV is more
lightweight, overlaps less with existing tools, should be faster, and -
crucially - has more uptake in the community. With Plone 3 and Plone 4
at least it's also easier to set up and deploy than Deliverance, which
ether requires a standalone process that proxies to Zope, or adoptation
of repoze.zope2 to get a WSGI stack in Zope.