[Framework-Team] Spinning up a UI team

Eric Steele ems174 at psu.edu
Tue Mar 23 01:52:06 UTC 2010

It's my understanding that, traditionally, each (or at least most) incarnation of the Framework Team included a UI-focused member who would weigh in on such concerns during the PLIP review process. The 4.0 team did not include such a person (which based on the number of PLIPs we had, probably saved some poor soul from going entirely insane). To work around this, I tried to make sure that the more UI-focused/challenged PLIPs had a guest reviewer with the necessary skills. I'd really like to turn this into a more formal process though.

So I'd like to propose creating a full-fledged UI team. Their main task would be to:

1) Serve as a non-blocking review vote on all PLIPs.
Provide the Framework Team with a team of developers with expertise in client-side concerns, willing to provide a review on each PLIP. Ensure that new features adhere to established usability and design standards; interactivity is added because it makes sense, not because it's flashy; and new design features are handled consistently throughout Plone. The team's role would initially be a non-blocking vote, possibility with more veto power to come as the processes is solidified.

And ideally would grow to...

2) Be a resource for PLIP implementers.
Provide one-stop-shopping for implementers looking for layout, scripting, design, and usability guidance.

3) Drive new PLIP ideas.
If someone were to say "the sharing tab would be much more understandable if it looked and worked like this," I'm sure we could find any number of coders happy to jump on board to make it happen. Having mockups and a direction goes a long way.

I know I'm not the only one with the same general idea, I've had at least 3 people independently mention it to me. How do we make this happen?

Eric