[Framework-Team] Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 00:12:22 UTC 2010

On 16 March 2010 23:37, Alexander Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Laurence Rowe <l at lrowe.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not possible to generate that from an xslt
>> processor / libxml2 / lxml, and in order to trigger the xhtml output
>> mode (so you get <br /> with the space) you need to specify an xhtml
>> 1.0 doctype to be output. It seems quite likely with deco / blocks /
>> xdv that we will have an lxml based output chain, so we will be
>> restricted in what's possible. This has been brought up previously on
>> the libxml2 list, though without resolution (I can't find the
>> reference to that right now).
>
> I'm thinking it will be easier to get libxml2/lxml to add this than to
> change the HTML5 spec.

I don't think we'll persuade libxml2 to implement it the <!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM
"about:legacy-compat"> as xhtml output until the standard is
finalised, it's already been changed from <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
"XSLT-compat"> in the last few months.

More on this here.
http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/content/xslt-and-html-5-problems

>> Also here http://www.w3.org/2008/08/cleantheweb/libxml  and here
>> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#What_MIME_type_does_HTML5_use.3F it
>> states the Content-Type should be application/xhtml+xml for the xml
>> serialization, so I guess absolute conformity may be impossible,
>> though self-closing tags seem to be allowed for the html serialization
>> too so maybe we're ok there.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant. HTML serialization, but self-closing tags.

This is the polyglot / overlap language from
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/HTML_vs._XHTML

Laurence