[Framework-Team] Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Mar 16 17:39:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> I'ld like to see a list of pros and cons of using HTML 5 as well. I am
> quite worried by the lack of proper support in existing browsers. None of
> them implement any of the existing HTML standards properly, and I fear that
> switching to the still unfinished HTML5 would be a several steps too far at
> this point in time.

What parts in particular do you find are not working? Browsers that don't
have dedicated support for HTML5 will just treat those tags similar to div
elements (given an HTML5 shiv <http://ejohn.org/blog/html5-shiv/> for
styling to apply in IE), and most of the new form-related enhancements are
additive in nature.

In general, HTML5 renders even on IE6, there isn't much magic here (but of
course it doesn't get any of the advantages either). HTML5 is mostly about
standardizing edge case behaviors and adding new abilities that will
gracefully degrade in older browsers — and then a few new tags like
video/audio (that are also relatively easy to make degrade) and structural
elements like article/footer, etc.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net