[Framework-Team] Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Mar 16 12:14:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> I'ld like to see a list of pros and cons of using HTML 5 as well. I am quite
> worried by the lack of proper support in existing browsers. None of them
> implement any of the existing HTML standards properly, and I fear that
> switching to the still unfinished HTML5 would be a several steps too far at
> this point in time.

We'll discuss the pros/cons of switching once we get a full PLIP for
this in time for Plone 5 in a year or so from now.

>From what I can tell today, we'll still need to support IE 7+ at that
point, which puts clear limits on what we can do. I can see us using a
lot of the new input elements which degrade nicely in older browsers
for example. But switching the doctype won't be anything our default
theme can do. Everyone is free to build a new theme himself
experimenting with HTML5, but I don't see that as part of the core.
Our default will have to be conservative, aiming for maximum
compatibility.

Hanno