[Framework-Team] Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Mar 16 11:45:51 UTC 2010

On 3/16/10 12:34 , Laurence Rowe wrote:
> On 15 March 2010 09:13, Alexander Limi<limi at plone.org>  wrote:

>>> That's really good to hear. Though I think "semantic HTML" or
>>> "sensible ids/classes" to identify elements in pages is what I had in
>>> mind with this point. Well besides the valid XHTML which is a
>>> requirement for Chameleon as well.
>>
>> It's also likely that we'll transition to using HTML5 (the XHTML-compatible
>> "phrasing", ie. HTML5, but close your tags), and Deco as a layout engine
>> will be much happier if we do a revamp of the existing HTML structure. It's
>> quite messy in parts from the 8+ years in production, and while it has held
>> up well, it's time to adjust to how the web has evolved since then,
>> especially with focus on our upcoming theming capabilities.
>
> We will almost certainly have to use an "obsolete permitted doctype
> string" to get lxml / libxml2 to output xhtml correctly. This means
> the intersection of the lists in
> http://svn.gnome.org/svn/libxml2/trunk/xmlsave.c and
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#obsolete-permitted-doctype-string
> - xhtml 1.0 strict.

I'ld like to see a list of pros and cons of using HTML 5 as well. I am
quite worried by the lack of proper support in existing browsers. None
of them implement any of the existing HTML standards properly, and I
fear that switching to the still unfinished HTML5 would be a several
steps too far at this point in time.

Wichert.