[Framework-Team] Re: A suggestion to egg on add-on product authors

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Fri Mar 12 23:01:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 2010-3-12 19:37, David Glick wrote:

>>> Not having uninstallers is high on my list of frustrations.
>>>
>> Assuming you used the unified installer everything is self-contained, so
>> you can just delete the Plone directory it created.
>
> I suspect he means uninstall support for add-on products. Neither
> GenericSetup nor CMFQuickInstaller properly support that.

Exactly.

This problem isn't unique to Plone.  I've seen far too many
software products that are not easily removed, often leaving
*ecker tracks scattered around a system.

The uninstall procedures should (a) remove any objects that
belong to that product, (b) undo any changes in Plone that the
product made, and (c) remove the product itself.  Orphaned
objects are unacceptable.

On the other side, one thing I haven't seen in Plone 3.x are
products that upgrade in place which was common on Plone 2.x.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

In the 20th century, the Soviet Union made the state's role
absolute. In the long run, this made the Soviet economy totally
uncompetitive. This lesson cost us dearly. I am sure nobody wants
to see it repeated. -- Vladimir Putin