[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 5 - rough roadmap

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:46:05 UTC 2010

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> with Plone 4 beta 1 out the door and the 4.0 framework team having
> done its job, it's time to look ahead into the future a bit.
>
> Eric has started the discussion around Plone 4.1 already, I'll let him
> drive that process :)
>
> But I had a look at the PLIP's we have seen and feature discussion we
> had in the past.
>
> Currently listed for Plone 4.x are things like:
>
> - Include plone.app.registry
> - Include z3c.form
> - Improved commenting infrastructure
> - Improving the event type with recurrence, etc.
> - New roles : Webmaster/site administrator and novice users
> - Unified interface for lists of content
> - New collections UI
> - Well formed, valid XHTML (as a foundation for easier theming via xdv)
> - ... tons of new or better features
>
> I think there's lots of good stuff in there. I think with Plone 4.0 as
> a new technical basis we need some time to make Plone the product
> better again. Image and media handling, better usability, better
> support for common tasks, more content lifecycle management, ...
> there's a lot we can and should do here. Figuring out what exactly
> should be part of Plone Core won't be easy, but I have a feeling our
> feature set is lacking behind the competition in various ways now.
>
> On the "future" side we have:
>
> - Chameleon
> - Deco / Blocks
> - Dexterity
> - WSGI
> - xdv as the default theming story
> - deprecate portal_skins
> - ...
>
> I don't want to go into the details of any one of those, but my
> general feeling is that none of these are anywhere ready to be shipped
> as part of Plone Core.
>
> My current idea would therefor be to aim for a Plone 5.0 release
> roughly 18 to 24 months after Plone 4.0 final is released. We could
> aim for 18 months if we only do a 4.1 release, but I assume we are
> going to do a 4.2 release as well (both taking about 9 months from
> experience). At that point 24 months is more realistic.
>
> That means these technologies and projects will need to evolve outside
> the core for some time. I'd hope they could bring up some PLIP's for
> 4.1 and 4.2 which will make their life easier - much like Dexterity
> has already done with CMF 2.2 and Plone 4.0. Sometimes these might
> just be events, interfaces and some more adapters to make things
> independent of Archetypes.
>
> Does this kind of roadmap has general agreement?

+1

I think that in trying to build the "real" Deco + Dexterity + WSGI
publisher + Chameleon + Skins deprecation as add-ons for Plone 4.0
*now*, we'll end up driving features for Plone 4.1. That is, the work
for Plone 5 probably starts in parallel with the work for Plone 4.1,
i.e. very soon if not already.