Re: [Framework-Team] Re: [Plone 4] Framework Team Minutes – Sept 16, 2009

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:18:43 UTC 2009

Owner was there in Plone < 3.0.  IIRC, it was removed because the name
is confusing, particularly since it is redundant with the object
ownership.  Granting the Manager role means giving local ZMI rights
and even the ability to e.g. add a local acl_users and create a little
fiefdom,  which may not be wise to allow through the sharing tab.  In
any case only Managers would be able to grant Manager, whereas Owner
could be granted more easily.  However, I'd suggest we add it back
only if we can find a suitable synonym for it.  Being able to say
"grant this person the same rights that I (the creator of this
content) have" is a very useful thing, even if the default
nomenclature is confusing.  Alternatively, we could adjust the
workflows to make e.g. 'Contributor' more powerful.

Alec