[Framework-Team] congratulations, Eric Steele: release manager for "the new" Plone 4!

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sun May 31 04:19:11 UTC 2009

Eric-

Congratulations... at our last meeting this past Thursday, May 28, the
Plone Foundation board officially voted to appoint you release manager
for Plone 4!

On behalf of the entire Plone community, we offer you our deepest
appreciation -- Plone is an amazing volunteer effort from hundreds of
people, but the role of release manager is a uniquely important,
influential and intense (!) role.  So, thank you.  As individuals and as
a group, we're looking forward to working with you more closely than ever!

The release manager role is not only an unusual amount of responsibility
and influence; it's also unusual in that it's the only "official" role
in the Plone community that comes with a paycheck!

Our current stipend schedule is:

 * Major releases (4.0): $5000
 * Minor releases (4.1, 4.2, etc): $2500
 * Maintenance releases (4.0.x, 4.1.x etc): nada

Typically, the release manager will invoice the Foundation after the
release goes final.

This stipend plan is based on the release rythym for Plone 3; if you
anticipate that Plone 4 will have a different approach, we're more than
open to discussing alternatives.

Finally, we think that your appointment and the related recent changes
to the Plone release plan are worthy of a solid Plone.org "News Item"
for broad circulation.  After you've recovered from the Symposium, I'd
like to ask you help us draft that, ideally in collaboration with Hanno
and Mark Corum, who is helping us with message & marketing.

Ok, really finally: congratulations, and thanks again! :-)

On behalf of the board,
Jon Stahl
President, Plone Foundation