[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 4 dependencies

David Glick davidglick at onenw.org
Sat May 30 22:38:43 UTC 2009

On May 30, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Matthew Wilkes wrote:
> On 30 May 2009, at 22:23, David Glick wrote:
>
>> Raphael raised a question about the consequences of backwards-
>> incompatible changes for add-on developers.  Switching to a newer
>> Zope and CMF will indeed probably have some consequences.  But this
>> is a major version bump of Plone, so I think it's okay if some
>> things change; this is probably our best opportunity to rip out
>> some old cruft.
>
> Perhaps the question we should be asking is, "What do we want the
> new features for Plone 5 to be?".  I think moving to browser views
> for default templates would be useful, if not just so it unifies our
> customisation story.  We've got lots of new things that we're all
> itching to use, but we need to balance that with making the upgrade
> from 3->4->5 as smooth as possible for our integrators.
>
> On the concrete example given, quite high-up on my list of wishlist
> features for Plone 4 would be ditching portal_skins and having a
> layer-aware analogue for browser views, with an exporter.  TTW
> editing is sorely missing in 3.x, and I think it's a pain point.

I absolutely agree that we need to do this.  (See my blog post [1]
from February and the follow-up e-mail conversation [2] on how I think
we should go about it.)

Given that the goal of the Plone 4 release is to incorporate fairly
low-risk things that have already been built, though, I'm not sure
this is an appropriate goal for Plone 4.  And while I agree that in
the end view templates should be browser views, I don't want to make
that switch until we have a complete TTW editing story for browser
views.

I think this is the point you were making as well.  If we start
actually working on this and make rapid progress, and have a solid
migration story, I'm willing to reconsider for Plone 4.

[1] http://david.wglick.org/2009/report-from-the-berlinale-sprint-how-we-can-fix-the-plone-skin-situation/
[2] http://n2.nabble.com/Re:-report-from-the-Berlinale-sprint:-how-we-can-fix-the-Plone-skin-situation-td2376181.html

David Glick
Web Developer
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the
environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidglick at onenw.org
work: (206) 286-1235 x32
mobile: (206) 679-3833

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup