[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] The new Plone 4.0

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Sat May 9 19:03:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 09 May 2009 05:09:07 -0700, Martin Aspeli
<optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd support this, *if* it follows the usual PLIP process and we actively
> encourage outside review from the get-go. That process may mean the
> theme change gets a thumbs-down.

Of course.

> We'd also need to find a way to not break all existing themes.

It will "break" (ie. slightly change) themes that reuse parts of the
original Plone CSS as part of their theme. Luckily, the fix is easy: make
a copy of the old CSS in your product.

Few themes do this anymore though — it's mostly for the editing/authoring
bits, which would still work (although they will change slightly too).
Again, very easy to copy the old CSS into your theme if you want to keep
the old style.

It's a x.0 release, so slight breakage like this shouldn't be a big issue.

> A small visual refresh would be welcome, though. Plone is looking a bit
> last millenium. :-/

Yup.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net