[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] The new Plone 4.0

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Sat May 9 09:50:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 15:56:36 -0700, Ricardo Alves
<rsa at eurotux.com> wrote:

> Steve McMahon wrote:
>> My only concern about calling Hanno's incremental change list 4.0 is
>> that we don't suffer from big-number expectation syndrome.
>
> This is the biggest risk I guess, a major release with just a minor set
> of visible (UI) improvements, will bring bad publicity.

I agree — this is the biggest risk in terms of calling it 4.0 instead of
3.5. The consensus to call the 2009 release 4.0 makes sense to me — so +1
on that decision.

One way to mitigate this — and make Plone seem a bit more modern along the
way — could be to apply the new typography/theme that I'm currently
applying to trunk. This is essentially the typography from the plone.org
redesign along with a color-neutral design for the navigation and other UI
elements. The goal is to make something that you can put the company logo
on, and it looks relatively decent, no matter what your company colors are.

This would make 4.0 seem "fresh" out of the box, make it look like an
application from 2009, and let us ship with considerably more
efficient/smaller CSS files.

The risk would be that we need to do some IE6 testing on it, but that
might not be a bad thing, since we know much more about IE6 workarounds at
this point than we did when the original CSS was written.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net