[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] The new Plone 4.0, was Re: Plone 3.5

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Tue May 5 21:44:07 UTC 2009

My only concern about calling Hanno's incremental change list 4.0 is
that we don't suffer from big-number expectation syndrome.

If we start thinking that 4.0 "has to be big enough" to justify the
numbering jump, and start expanding too much on the "yes" list, we
won't get this out in 2009. And, it won't serve the purpose of
delivering enough new stuff to keep folks excited while waiting for
the big UI items.

So, a couple of questions for us all:

1) If we call it Plone 4.0, can we restrict ourselves to a modest list
of improvements that will actually get coded this summer and tested
this fall?

2) If we call it Plone 4.0, can we resist ourselves to changes that
will not break existing theme products or well-constructed Plone 3 add
ons?

If we can agree to that and task Eric with enforcing it, I'm all for
calling "it" 4.0. In any case, Hanno's and collaborators have set us
on a great course.

Steve