[Framework-Team] The new Plone 4.0, was Re: Plone 3.5

David Glick davidglick at onenw.org
Tue May 5 18:24:59 UTC 2009

Just catching up here on the west coast of the US...

+1 on the modified proposal of aiming for a "less risky" release
called Plone 4.0, with the caveats that:
- The release needs to offer improvements of significant value to
justify the effort in upgrading (Hanno's spreadsheet of proposed
changes and where they might land looks good to me overall)
- We need to nail the upgrade story and documentation of changes.

+1 for Eric Steele as release manager for 4.0 (with Hanno continuing
to oversee Plone trunk)

David

On May 5, 2009, at 7:57 AM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> Hi.
>
> To summarize the feedback from the European time zone, I think that
> the
> proposal in general meets the favor of everyone.
>
> The controversial issue is the exact version number to use for the
> release. There seems to be broad support for freeing the current Plone
> trunk from a version designator and release a 4.0 release with the
> envisioned scope of this proposal instead.
>
> If I do not get a strong signal or message otherwise, consider this
> proposal changed in this regard.
>
> Hanno
>
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> While everyone is waiting for Plone 4 and its rather long timeline,
>> some
>> people have been thinking about how to bridge the gap between the
>> current stable 3.x releases and the future.
>>
>> The general idea that seems to have met some consensus is to go for a
>> Plone 3.5 release up next. We'd skip any 3.4 release and go for a 3.5
>> that is similar in spirit to the Plone 2.5 release. It tries to both
>> refresh some of our technical underpinnings in addition to some more
>> intrusive feature changes we didn't allow ourselves in the 3.x
>> series so
>> far.
>>
>> In order to frame the scope of such a release I made a listing of
>> some
>> of the potential features for such a release at
>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rFHYANxtkRfGYchi1QuS5dA. The
>> list
>> is both non-exclusive and non-binding in the recommendations.
>>
>> The envisioned timeline for a Plone 3.5 release would be to aim for a
>> final release either by the time of the conference or by the end of
>> this
>> year, giving us six months or a bit more for it. By aiming for an
>> after-summer beta deadline we will have a chance of leveraging some
>> Google Summer of Code contributions for such a release.
>>
>> When it comes to the official personal involved in such a new major
>> release, I'd like to suggest a slight deviation on our process. As
>> many
>> to all of the features changes in question for the 3.5 release have
>> so
>> far been in the scope of the 4.0 release, I'd suggest to appoint the
>> entire 4.0 framework team to be the official team for 3.5 as well.
>> This
>> forces them to get involved with the process in a more defined and
>> clear
>> way now.
>>
>> On the side of the release manager, Wichert has signaled that his
>> workload as a freelancer will not allow him to take over the
>> shepherding
>> of a new major release. We do however have with Eric Steele of PSU
>> fame
>> a well-known interested candidate for the position.

> [...]

David Glick
Web Developer
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the
environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidglick at onenw.org
work: (206) 286-1235 x32
mobile: (206) 679-3833

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup