[Framework-Team] Plone 3.5

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue May 5 14:18:15 UTC 2009

[Do we really need to discuss this on three lists?]

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> JoAnna Springsteen wrote:
>>> The idea is also to catch up with our platforms (Zope 2, Zope 3, CMF) as
>>> we're starting to look a bit out of date on Zope 2.10 + Zope 3.3 + CMF 2.1.
>> What's the significance of 3.5? Why can't this catch up be done in
>> increments? 3.4 then 3.5 then 3.6?
>
> Because upgrading Zope versions and some of the other changes are too
> big for the Plone 3.x stability promise.

Do we know that for sure already?
Do we know how far we could get with some temporary
module aliases to take care of stuff that has been
moved around?

>> My worry here is that catching up will mean a repeat of 2.5.
>
> What does that mean?

That we confused people to now end ...

As I understand the current discussion the general idea
is most welcome. People are concerned of staying in line
with our long-term promises and it seems to me that this
almost exclusively boils down to a naming issue.

Frankly speaking I would have no problem calling the proposed
intermediate release Plone 4 and not to assign a version number
to current trunk at all. AFAICS the current co-notation of
Plone 4 being the all-new, all-shiny next generation of Plone
is merely a project internal that we can redefine without
much of a problem but doing it the other way around because
we consider sneaking in a major release before the next major
release that some got used to think of being Plone 4
carries the risk of creating confusion and distrust where we
can't control it.

Raphael