[Framework-Team] Plone 3.5

Ricardo Alves rsa at eurotux.com
Tue May 5 14:01:52 UTC 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Hi.
>
> While everyone is waiting for Plone 4 and its rather long timeline, some
> people have been thinking about how to bridge the gap between the
> current stable 3.x releases and the future.
>
> The general idea that seems to have met some consensus is to go for a
> Plone 3.5 release up next. We'd skip any 3.4 release and go for a 3.5
> that is similar in spirit to the Plone 2.5 release. It tries to both
> refresh some of our technical underpinnings in addition to some more
> intrusive feature changes we didn't allow ourselves in the 3.x series so
> far.

-1 on skipping 3.4. It will mostly bring more confusion. People will ask
why, and most, manly newbies and outsiders who don't understand the
complexity of the Plone stack, won't understand the rationale behind it.
Also people will expect a 3.5 release to keep the promise of stability
of the 3.x series.

> In order to frame the scope of such a release I made a listing of some
> of the potential features for such a release at
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rFHYANxtkRfGYchi1QuS5dA. The list
> is both non-exclusive and non-binding in the recommendations.

It would be great to have such improvements before Plone 4. But I think
most of these features, specially the ones tagged as "low risc" can, and
should, be included in the 3.x series (3.4, 3.5, ...), without breaking
backwards compatibility. Although, some may need special attention in
regard to bbb.

I don't think there is a good solution here, but it will be less painful
if we don't mess up with version numbering.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Alves <rsa at eurotux.com>