[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 3.5

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue May 5 12:21:33 UTC 2009

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Hi.
>
> While everyone is waiting for Plone 4 and its rather long timeline, some
> people have been thinking about how to bridge the gap between the
> current stable 3.x releases and the future.
>
> The general idea that seems to have met some consensus is to go for a
> Plone 3.5 release up next. We'd skip any 3.4 release and go for a 3.5
> that is similar in spirit to the Plone 2.5 release. It tries to both
> refresh some of our technical underpinnings in addition to some more
> intrusive feature changes we didn't allow ourselves in the 3.x series so
> far.

While I like the idea in general I would be very careful not to break
our promise of Plone 3.x being stable, maintained, backwards compatible,
not breaking 3rd-party add-ons etc. until Plone 4 is out for a while.

Just for the record: we (the Plone 3 framework team) even got some
critic from the doc team for allowing

   http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/243

into Plone 3.3 as this had somewhat of an impact on the
forthcoming manual. (not to mention all the printed books
that appeared recently and that are going to appear soon)

After quickly browsing through Hanno's list I don't see a
reason to break our pattern and to call this 3.5. At first
glance it seems perfectly feasible to me to introduce at least
most of the changes proposed here in Plone 3.4, 3.5, 3.6.

Having said that I'm not so sure this should be handled by the
Plone 4 FWT alone. Regarding the release manager on the other
hand I have nothing but a warm welcome and the best wishes for
Eric! Glad to see you getting more involved.

Of course I would have specific comments on some of those changes
but this is not the place and time to do into the details I guess.

Just my 2 cents,

	Raphael