[Framework-Team] Re: update on supporting Python 2.6 / Zope 2.12 / CMF 2.2

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Sun Jun 21 07:49:34 UTC 2009

Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com>
writes:

>> <rant>
>> Well, I really hate having default content around, that I have to
>> delete all the time and people use in tests that later on break if we
>> change it. The initial content just won't make sense for many sites
>> and people waste huge amount of times to try to get the initial
>> content to match some form of uber-use-case. Has anyone looked at how
>> much time people spent of fixing the nested "past events" collection?
>> Except that everyone really thinks that nested collections are a bad
>> idea in general and they actually don't really work? And then we have
>> the infamous "front-page" which welcomes our users to Plone 3.0 with
>> the exact same message up until today? We don't update these things
>> and there's no one driving it. I'd just rather have something be part
>> of the installers that welcomes new users and points to some section
>> on plone.org for continuously updated information. An updated guide on
>> plone.org about "Your first steps with Plone - how to create content"
>> and a "How to organize your content (simple information architecture)"
>> stuff would be more helpful and allow users to feel in charge of the
>> content in their site. Right now first time users can't really tell,
>> if those initial folders are content or part of the application logic
>> and won't dare to change them. Not to mention that they create hard
>> problems in multi-lingual settings, where you actually want to layout
>> your site quite differently. So +1 one a "welcome screen" that isn't
>> content in itself but a big -100 on any content in a new site. That's
>> what demo.plone.org would be for.
>> </rant>
>
> That was a long paragraph.
>
> I think it's important that Plone has at least a welcome page when you
> install it. Staring at a blank folder_listing is going to put off new
> users. We can probably bet rid of the News and Events collections,
> though.

I think I'd be opposed to removing the initial content, including the
news and events collections, from the Plone installer.  I think the
batteries included story is very valuable and I love being able to tell
prospective clients to just download the installer and start playing.
Part of that is being able to add an event to their home folder, publish
it, and see it in the listing.

OTOH, I'd love to be able to write an client app package where I don't
have to start my GS profile by *removing* that content.

So I'm +1 for moving the initial content into a separate profile that is
only installed by the installer and isn't installed by "Add Plone
Site".  I'm -10 for removing the initial content if it isn't preserved
in the installer.

Ross