[Framework-Team] Re: Plone 4 dependencies

Hanno Schlichting hannosch at hannosch.eu
Mon Jun 1 19:42:16 UTC 2009

Matthew Wilkes wrote:
> Perhaps the question we should be asking is, "What do we want the new
> features for Plone 5 to be?".  I think moving to browser views for
> default templates would be useful, if not just so it unifies our
> customisation story.
>
> On the concrete example given, quite high-up on my list of wishlist
> features for Plone 4 would be ditching portal_skins and having a
> layer-aware analogue for browser views, with an exporter.  TTW editing
> is sorely missing in 3.x, and I think it's a pain point.

+1 for it being a pain point. But ;)

I think we can move all the admin-UI stuff like preference screens,
folder_copy, object_rename and author pages and the like from CMFPlone
to browser views in Plone 4, as these tend not to be customized that often.

I wouldn't want to see document_view, folder_listing and the more
commonly customized templates to be changed in Plone 4, though. Changing
these will break lots of customizations out there and I only want to do
that once we have figured out the complete story for TTW editing and
new-style default theming.

As long as we have Archetypes and any AT-based add-on, we won't be able
to ditch portal_skins anyways. It's whole widget machinery and base_*
are too tightly based on nested skin layers and lots of magic.

Hanno