[Framework-Team] Re: PLIP #234 Review Revisions

Andreas Zeidler az at zitc.de
Thu Feb 12 15:00:28 UTC 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Raphael Ritz wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> [..]
>> FWIW, I think much of Calvin's work could've gone into a 3.2.x
>> release as bug fixes. If he doesn't break tests, and writes a few
>> tests for truly new code, then I think that's probably sufficient
>> in most places.
>
> Personally, I agree with the sentiment that this is mostly
> a bug fix in nature.

+1

> While I still plan to take a look on Saturday I won't vote
> it down for what's being discussed most recently here.

i didn't mean to imply that not having more tests is a strict
showstopper.  please don't get me wrong here.  i do appreciate
calvin's work and all the fixes he put in to finally make this feature
work.  hunting the bug must have been cumbersome enough...  however,
usually we do provide tests to go along with bug fixes as well, to
sort of prove things are working correctly now.  clearly the case of
nav-root != site-root wasn't covered with many tests so far, otherwise
we would have seen failures all along.  so why not take the
opportunity and add a few tests that would have failed without the
fixes calvin put in?

unfortunately i simply don't have any time left to go through the
changesets again and point out tests i'd like to see, but i thought i
had already given a generic guideline on what i think is missing.
anyway, here's another look at it:  if you (temporarily) revert your
patches (at least the ones in code), and none of the currently
existing tests fail, that's when you should add one that is (and then
passes again with your fixes).  i don't think that's too much to ask,
especially since there are not that many changes (iirc) anyway.

but, like i said, i'm running out of time, so i'll leave things to tom
and raphael...

andi

zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - info at zitc.de
plone 3.2.1 released! -- http://plone.org/products/plone/