[Framework-Team] Re: PLIP #234 Review Revisions

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:40:57 UTC 2009

Calvin Hendryx-Parker wrote:

> I'd be open for suggestions for other tests.  A majority of the fixes
> were templates and they were to use an already existing bit of code
> functionality that I didn't add like you said.  The viewlets were
> modified to support this and I have the test to confirm it in the base
> class for the viewlets.
>
> If there are some specific tests you'd like to see I'd be happy to add
> them, but in the end the trickiest piece of code I updated was the
> calendar tool modifications and I added tests there also.
>
> FYI...  we have released collective.lineage which depends on many of
> these fixes and I believe will expand the number of people using this
> functionality.  There are a lot of people excited about this new
> product and are wanting to deploy it.  We actually have 1 site in
> production with it already.  Since this functionality was already in
> Plone before I got ahold of it I still see this PLIP as a large bug
> fix that really should be included.

FWIW, I think much of Calvin's work could've gone into a 3.2.x release
as bug fixes. If he doesn't break tests, and writes a few tests for
truly new code, then I think that's probably sufficient in most places.

Having done something similar in the past (but not read Calvin's diff in
detail), I suspect most of his changes were simply to stop people making
use of portal_url() when they should've used get_navigation_root().
There may be cases when we could add a "defect" type test to show that
the navigation root didn't work before, but now does, but let's not
create too much work for what is, in many cases, more about analysing a
problem and applying a few surgical fixes, than writing a ton of new code.