Re: [Framework-Team] Status of PLIP 9315 — New theme for Plone 4

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Aug 17 09:44:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Alexander Limi<limi at plone.org> wrote:
> I ran into unexpected problems today while trying to wrap up my PLIP for the
> review today — in short, there doesn't seem to be any (!) way to get any
> version of Plone running on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) at the moment: The
> Unified Installers fail, buildout-based install fails, and any combination
> of MacPorts Python (current release, trunk from their SVN), binary Python
> and GCC (4.0, 4.2) versions fail while compiling parts of Zope.

I'm surprised you got even as far as this ;) I'd expected there to be
more problems with Snow Leopard.

> I spent 6 hours today with the help of messieurs Glick, Steele and McMahon
> today trying to make it work, but there's something very weird going on (for
> example, the Acquisition egg compiles properly, but after reporting that
> it's successfully compiled, can't be found — if you're interested, here's
> the output). (And if you know what's going on here, it would be great if you
> can help out, since we also need to solve this — preferrably before Snow
> Leopard is released, which may be as soon as end of this month.)

What looks suspicious is this line:

Installed /Users/limi/.buildout/eggs/tmpiT6PqP/Acquisition-2.12.3-py2.6-macosx-10.6-universal.egg

it seems setuptools gets the build platform correct (10.6-universal)
but fails to move the egg into the correct location. Or at least I
assume your egg cache is not "~/.buildout/eggs/tmpiT6PqP" but
"~/.buildout/eggs/".

I'd fear we need people with the right knowledge to get access to Snow
Leopard to debug and fix this, which might take a bit more time. At
least with Distribute we now have a means of actually getting those
fixes out to the world.

Hanno