[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] Adding dependency on plone.registry

Eric Steele ems174 at psu.edu
Fri Aug 14 16:57:24 UTC 2009

On Aug 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Geir Bækholt wrote:

> In our work on the collections-PLIPs: #9283 and #9295
> https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9283
> https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9295
>
> …we have found a need to persistently store configuration data. Our
> options are:
> 1) either to write a new persistent utility/tool that keeps this data,
> then adding new genericsetup handlers for it and all the work that
> comes
> along with this
> or
> 2)Use the shiny new plone.(app.)registry that Hanno has built for this
> exact purpose (for Plone 5)
> While this is a rather large dependency (it depends on z3c.form), we
> believe the advantages outweigh the drawbacks. As this will probably
> be
> the de-facto standard of storing configuration data in the near future
> anyway, it seems silly to spend big lots of work creating something
> that
>  will be redundant in the near future.
> The fourdigits-team also wants to use the registry for the TinyMCE-
> plip:
> https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9249
>
> We'll add the dependency now — and hope that the framework team will
> signal us as soon as possible if this change should be reverted.
>

> --
> Geir Bækholt
>
> in collaboration with
> Hanno Schlichting
> Ralph Jacobs
> Rob Gietema
> Roel Bruggink

I'm generally in favor, with the stipulation that somebody takes
ownership of getting it ready for real world use and it goes through
its own FWT review process (to make sure it's "right", rather than for
inclusion).

CC'ing the FWT*, in the hopes that we can get some solid discussion on
this now instead of waiting until next Wednesday's phone call.

Eric

* Though I'm sure all are subscribed to Plone-dev, I just want to push
it somewhere they're more likely to notice it.