[Framework-Team] Re: Version Support Confusion

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Apr 22 08:00:50 UTC 2009

Previously Carsten Senger wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steve McMahon schrieb:
> >Here's a draft for a public policy statement. I invite feedback and
> >wordsmithing.
>
> Thanks for writing the draft. I've only 2 comments.
>
> 1. I saw different working names for the policy and I think it should be
> something obvious like "Plone [Version] Support Policy" or "Plone
> Lifecycle Support Policy".
>
> 2. A table with the current/future versions would help. It's not really
> part of the policy, but a table helps to understand it and gives an idea
> how long the support cycles are.
>
>                                  (supposable)
>                 Series           Release Date
>             2.5    3.x    4.x
> Release
> 2.5          M      -      -      Sep 2006
>
> 3.0          M      M      -      Aug 2007
>
> 3.1          S      M      -      May 2008
>
> 4.0         EOL     M      M      2010 or 2011 (???)
>
> 4.1         EOL     S      M      undecided

This table is incorrect: you should consider all 3.x series to be a
single 3.x release. When 3.1 was released we stopped all support for
3.0. When 3.2 was released we stopped support for 3.1. And when we
release 3.3 we will stop supporting 3.2. The 3.x releases try very
hard to maintain compatibility, so this should not be problematic.

Wichert.