[Framework-Team] Version Support Confusion

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Tue Apr 21 21:07:58 UTC 2009

Here's a draft for a public policy statement. I invite feedback and
wordsmithing.

"""
The Plone project offers differing levels of support for non-current
versions of Plone.

Active maintenance of Plone happens for one major version of Plone at a time.
Once a new major version is released, the old major version is
maintained until the first minor version of the new major version is
released. Active maintenance includes development, bug fixes, and
refinement.

Active security support happens for the latest two major Plone
versions at all times. However, there may be security-related fixes
that are practical for the current version of Plone, but are not
practical for earlier versions. This may be the case if the fix to an
earlier version would require widespread or structural changes.

Plone 2.5, 3.x and 4.x are considered major versions of Plone. Plone
3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2 are considered minor versions of Plone.

Please note that this is not a guarantee that any particular bug will
be fixed or development undertaken. Plone is an open-source software
project developed collaboratively by hundreds of persons from around
the world, and progress depends on the interest and skill of those
developers. As with any project, your best guide is probably the work
done in the past. We believe the record of the Plone project on this
score is excellent and invite your scrutiny and suggestions.
"""

--

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC