[Framework-Team] Re: who owns what, according to trac

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Sep 29 00:14:43 UTC 2008

Jon Stahl wrote:
> Scratching my own itch (thanks to Hanno for suggesting I look at the
> component owner list in trac), I pulled together this list of current
> component owners, sorted into owned and unowned.
>

> COMPONENTS WITH TRAC OWNERS
>
> Archetypes                 nouri

I wonder how effectively Daniel can manage this, given that it's such a
big piece of code. It'd be good to make sure we can form out bugs here
to others as needed.

> Catalog                    witsch
> Content Rules              optilude
> Control Panel              hannosch
> Image Blob Support         witsch
> Installer (Mac OS X)       smcmahon
> Installer (Unified)        smcmahon
> Installer (Windows)        dreamcatcher
> Intelligenttext            maurits
> Internationalization       hannosch
> Javascript                 mj
> KSS (Ajax)                 ree
> Linkintegrity              witsch
> Locking                    jfroche
> Navigation/Folder listings optilude

I really wish I could give this to someone else... I don't "own" this in
any meaningful way, and I think I become a bottleneck.

> NuPlone Theme              limi

Limi is probably a bottleneck here. Unfortunately, we struggle to find
people willing to own template/visual bugs.

> OpenID support             davisagli
> Portlets                   optilude
> Search                     witsch
> Spelling Error             hannosch
> Transforms                 hannosch
> Versioning                 alecm
> Visual Editor (Kupu)       duncan
> WebDAV                     dreamcatcher

This one tends to bottleneck, because not enough people know very much
about WebDAV.

> COMPONENTS WITH NO TRAC OWNERS
>
> ATReferenceBrowserWidget
> Accessibility
> Calendar and time
> Content Types

This one really should have an owner, since it's so fundamental.

> Discussions
> Documentation
> Infrastructure (kind of a broad area)

Right, we should rationalise this away.

> Login and registration

This one badly needs an owner. I think Wichert was looking after it, but
realised he couldn't keep up.

> Mail
> MimetypesRegistry
> Permissions
> RSS
> RTL
> Upgrade/Migration
> Usability (also a pretty broad area)
> Users/Groups

Ditto - I think Wichert gave up on this one.

> Visual and templates

This one is huge, and used to be Limi's.

> Wiki support (Wicked)
> Workflow
> Working copy support (Iterate)
>

> MY QUESTIONS:
>
> Are there owned components where the owner is not active?
>
> Are there unowned components that are actually owned?
>
> Which unowned components are the most critical to get owners for?

See above.

> Are there unnamed components that need owners?
>
> Are there unnamed components that have owners?
>
> Should I take this discussion out to the dev list? ;-)

Please! If we can define what a component owner does, we can probably
recruit some more.