[Framework-Team] Re: random thought: identify the components that lack owners

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sat Sep 27 18:58:07 UTC 2008

Heh. I seem to have opened up an interesting thread of conversation.
Which, I suppose, was half of what I subconsciously intended. ;-)

I agree with Hanno that the current scope of the FWT is indeed limited.
And it was not really fair of me to imply that the FWT should pick up
the longer-term vision.

And, like Martin, I think that one of the most powerful things about
Plone is the fact that leadership is dispersed and the vision is
emergent.  (Plone is democracy, as Paul says.)

However, I do think that the ambition and scope of Plone has increased a
lot since 2.1 (that's a good thing), and that Hanno's observation that
while the Plone community is growing, we're not getting as much "new
blood" into the core team as we need to.

One of the symptoms of that is the fact that some of of key components
lack committed long-term maintainers.  I think that's in part because we
haven't done a great job of articulating where we need more hands, and
how to get folks involved.

On the plus side, I think we have a really excellent and fast-growing
pool of talent that is on the cusp of being able to make really great
contributions to the core, but we don't have a good, systematic approach
for bringing those folks in.

I don't think, however, that the choice is "status quo" or "top-down
leadership."  I think we can create a little more structure within our
loose-but-effective swarm that will help more leadership emerge
organically, and also help us do a better job of articulating our
medium-term vision.

I have a few (still pretty vague!) ideas about how we might be able to
do that, but really what I think is that we need to talk about this a
bit more, both in person in DC and online.   I think the FWT has a role
to play in that, but neither should it be expected to carry the entire
burden.  The first PSPS event back at Google in February was also the
beginning of an experiment in that direction.

I'd love to see this conversation continue.  It is definitely not an
insoluble problem.

Also, Chris Johnson and I are doing a workshop on "collaborative design
processes" in which I think a lot of these ideas will float around... I
heartily invite all of you to come join that session!

best,
jon