[Framework-Team] Re: random thought: identify the components that lack owners

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Sep 26 21:45:38 UTC 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:

> It seems to me that not having continuity of architectural vision across
> releases, including the ability to remove broken / abandoned components,
> is a really dangerous place for Plone to be.

Is this an actual or a hypothetical problem?

I think there is architectural vision in Plone, but it tends to be
established through a process of discourse and consensus building, more
so than through one man's iron fist.

I think the true test of this will come at the point when we have a
deadlock over the direction that can't be resolved through consensus. I
struggle to think of an example of where that's happened, though. [1]

For what it's worth, part of the argument of my master's thesis was that
this discourse-driven process of continual "structuration" and
"re-structuration" of ideas makes Plone more resilient and ultimately
more successful than projects that are either driven by a single
dictator (since most people are fallible), a single parent company
(ditto), or too small a community to foster the type of voices that are
capable of driving this debate forward and lending authority to decisions.

A case in point - Paul is concerned that no-one is able to rubber stamp
a future of embracing WSGI and related technologies. Meanwhile, the rest
of us are busy building that WSGI future. But before we can do that, we
need to know if it works, and if we can get the bulk of the community to
move in the same direction. If we installed a dictator or established a
bureaucratic system (and I suspect we'd do either very badly), that
still wouldn't make anybody do the work or write the documentation or
actually make this happen. Open source is by its nature bottom-up
innovation. Take away the creative chaos, and you have little left.

That's not to say we shouldn't rip out a bunch of code. In fact, I'm
going to lend my voice (and hopefully a little bit of authority) to that
argument in two weeks' time. :-)

Martin

[1] Perhaps the KSS vs. Bling debate of yore came close