[Framework-Team] PLIP 238: Disable inline editing by default

Tom Lazar lists at tomster.org
Wed Oct 29 09:05:28 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Danny Bloemendaal wrote:

> Well, I am all in favor of having the UI fixed. Perhaps some of the
> kss boys can do this. You need to have a hover event that shows a
> button next to the widget (button can styles using css into a pencil
> or something) and the click should trigger the edit mode.

i may be wrong, of course, but i doubt anybody of the framework team
would have voted for plip238 if we had such an implementation ;-)

heck, if we had had a plip for the above scenario, that would have
been voted in and wiggy probably would have never created #238.

IOW: i'd rather disable a suboptimal implementation of a potentially
cool feature (#238) than wait for an uncertain amount of time until we
have a UI fix for that feature.

> I think that jeroen vloothuis could do this in an afternoon. we
> could ask him to help.

please do! if he comes up with something, i'd like to propose that we
treat his patch as an 'alternative implementation of #238', i.e. if we
think of #238 as 'fixing inline editing' then jeroen's patch could
still become part of plone 3.3 instead of sticking it into a new plip
(which would then obviously have to wait until 3.4)

just my $0.02,

tom