[Framework-Team] PLIP 238: Disable inline editing by default

Raphael Ritz raphael.ritz at incf.org
Tue Oct 28 15:08:25 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I want to propose PLIP 238: Disable inline editing by default
>
> Motivation
> ----------
> I suspect that by now most of us have realized that the current inline editing
> behaviour in Plone 3 is not very practical. It has two main problems:
>
> * it is very easily triggered by default, which causes unwanted edit fields to
>   be opened which have to be manually closed. This happens because many,
>   if not most, people click accidentily, select text to keep track of
>   the reading position, try to select text to copy&paste it or for other
>   reasons. Since every single click activates inline edit this happens
>   all too often and becomes very frustrating over time.
>
> * as Alexander mentioned in his new UI proposal what you really want is
>   a quick option to go to a full edit-mode. Editing a single field is a
>   much less common operation than we were expecting.
>
> I can't think of a single Plone deployment I have been involved in for
> the last 6 months where we have not disabled inline editing, which
> strengthens my believe that the current default is wrong.
>
> Proposal
> ---------
>
> Current Plone releases have a simple toggle to enable or disable inline
> editing. I propose that we change the default for newly created sites to
> disabled.
>
> Please note that I do not propose to disable inline field validation in
> edit screens: that is a very useful and desirable feature.
>
> Wichert.

+1 on just changing the default.

Raphael

PS: And while we are at this: personally I do like inline editing
for simple fields like title, description, a date and such.
But where I really HATE it is when it comes to text fields as
 they often contain a large body of text that you want to scroll
through, that has links embedded that you want to click etc.

But that's not the matter of this PLIP and it seems like we are
going to see more on this soon anyway.