[Framework-Team] Comments on PLIP 244

Ricardo Alves rsa at eurotux.com
Tue Oct 28 10:53:17 UTC 2008

Hi framework team,

I'm sorry I didnt' comment on the previous discussion about PLIP #244,
but I wasn't subscribing this list. Anyway, I'd like to comment on some
of the objections already posted in the PLIP page.

About the usefulness of site-wide portlets, let me give an example: you
have a static portlet assignment at a folder, and that portlet makes
sense only in the context of that folder, so you want to block it in
subfolders but keeping site-wide portlets visible (e.g. like news,
review list, events, etc). Currently you can't do this, unless you
manage to setup some weird combination using the other categories...

Let me also make it clear that the idea here is not to break with
existing functionality, neither with any concept. The idea of marking
categories as "not inherited by subfolders" would be extremely useful.
Currently, you need to block inheritance in all subfolders.

Anyway, I'll be happy to reformulate this PLIP, or even split it into
smaller ones, after some more discussion.

Thanks,

Ricardo