[Framework-Team] Re: PLIP 244: Portlet management improvements

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 22:39:05 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>  - Create a "site wide" portlet category for portlets that should show
>> on all pages (unless blocked). Currently, people have to use contextual
>> portlets at the root of the site for this, which gets cumbersome since
>> if you block them in one folder, you need to re-add all portlets in
>> subfolders.
>
> This feels like a workaround for the fact that you can not selectively
> block portlets.

I used to think that way, I'm not so sure anymore. Speaking to people
about this over the past few months, I've come to realise that our model
of thinking that the site root is the "parent" of all content from which
things like portlets can inherit if they need to be site-wide is not how
people tend to think about it.

I think to most people, the root is the front page and is just a page.
You may want some portlets on the front page, or you may want some
portlets that are global and show up (almost) everywhere. In our current
model, the "workaround" is that you have to be careful to assign
portlets to the root and then not block them unduly. This gets
unnatural, especially if you have deep or complex content hierarchies.

> I would prefer a method where you can both block
> individual portlets and block only for the current object is, similar
> to how you propose a flag to only show a portlet in the current object.

Right, we need that too. :)

Cheers,