[Framework-Team] PLIP 244: Portlet management improvements

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 15:35:36 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Ricardo Alves has been working (with me providing some guidance) on some
incremental improvements to plone.app.portlets. We'd like to propose
this for Plone 3.3:

  http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/244

The key suggestions are:

  - Create a "site wide" portlet category for portlets that should show
on all pages (unless blocked). Currently, people have to use contextual
portlets at the root of the site for this, which gets cumbersome since
if you block them in one folder, you need to re-add all portlets in
subfolders.

  - Improve the contextual "manage portlets" screen so that you can see
what portlets will disappear/appear when you block/unblock.

  - Add a setting (actually, an annotation) to each individual portlet
assignment that determines whether it is shown in subfolders or not.
This will probably need to default to true, at least for migrated sites,
but may be better off as defaulting to false. This will solve the
problem of "I want this portlet in this folder, but not all
sub-folders". Currently, you need to go and block contextual portlets in
each sub-folder, which is a pain.

Each of these could be implemented separately, although they do go hand
in hand.

Cheers,