[Framework-Team] Re: What is Plone 3.3?

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Oct 14 04:27:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:47:51 -0700, Martin Aspeli
<optilude at gmx.net> wrote:

> Right now, the things that concern me are:
>
>   - Adding a new way to add content (the "add sibling" proposal)
>   - Moving the contextual "manage portlets" link somewhere else
>   - Removing the "display" menu and putting the behaviour on the fieldset
>
> (the last one is doubly bad, because it would require any add-on product
> that used this menu to be updated in a possibly backwards-incompatible
> way, to add a field to replicate this, and we'd need a unique solution
> for non-AT content).

+1, I don't think any of these should land in 3.x. Especially since a lot
of them should hopefully be moot in the next major release anyway — but in
the meantime, let's not change UI behaviour in a minor release. It's bad
form, and while I'm usually tending towards this, I have changed my
approach after seeing the confusion it can cause.

> Luckily, there's a "workaround". :) All of these changes could be
> provided with easy-to-install add-on products. These could be tested on
> real users and used by those who want different behaviour.

This is the way to go if you want your pet UI peeve addressed in the 3.x
series.

Thanks for raising this, Martin.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net