[Framework-Team] PLIP #126: Link type should automatically redirect when accessed directly

Danny Bloemendaal danny.bloemendaal at informaat.nl
Fri Oct 10 04:17:35 UTC 2008

It seems that this plip has a few valid comments that seem to extend
it. What will the plip exactly be? Is it only about direct linking or
also a better way to use it to link internally? For the latter you
could imagine a different widget that either uses the yet-to-come
überselectionwidget to pick an object or manually enter a remote link.
For the first proposal I'd say to use a setting in the site props that
controls if you really want this direct linking. In intranets you
could easily see Links as sort of landing pages where you go to to
read about the link, discuss it and eventually folllow the link. In
our intranet we have several sitations that utilize this use case. We
even extended the Link with a thumb preview and instructions how to
log in to the remote site. They were used as example websites that
sometimes are restricted and need extra instructions. It would really
be a pain to customize the navtree only to restore this behaviour.

So: +1 on both but configurable properly.

And for symlinks.. there's already a product that does this a little:
SimpleAlias. (Forgot who wrote that thing).