[Framework-Team] Re: PLIP 236: Move Display menu to edit and allow for custom properties

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Oct 9 15:32:48 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> First: remove the Display menu and add a field to the settings tab of
> the edit form where it belongs.

-1 for 3.x.

  - This breaks existing documentation and expectations.

  - The display menu is not specific to Archetypes or any particular
content type implementation. We shouldn't tie this to AT (or any other
content type framework).

I think we should revisit this for 4.x, though. I agree that it belongs
on the edit screen. In fact, we looked at doing that for 3.0, but
decided it wasn't worth it for the reasons above.

> Second: a Display view should be able to provide a custom property sheet
> that is loaded into this settings form whenever you pick a display type.
> These properties give the user options to set parameters for the chosen
> view. A thumbnail view for instance could provide an option telling how
> many thumbs are shown. The point is that you don't know this in advance
> so the view should somehow provide this property sheet.

That'd be really nice. Ironically, that's easier to do if we keep it in
the menu (or you'd need pop-ups or complex widgets on the edit screen).