[Framework-Team] PLIP #240: Improve locking configurability

David Glick davidglick at onenw.org
Fri Oct 3 22:08:59 UTC 2008

>> I'd like to propose PLIP #240 for inclusion in Plone 3.3:
>>
>> http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/240
>>
>> This PLIP is intended to provide several avenues toward addressing
>> the problem of content accidentally getting left in a locked state.
> +1 for this, although:
>
> "David Glick is willing to serve in an advisory role to whoever is
> willing to implement this."
>
> I suspect this means that it won't get implemented. :)
>
> I think you need to find someone who's willing to commit to
> delivering it, or it won't happen.

I suppose I should clarify.  I'm willing to commit to implementing
this if it's just a matter of changing the default timeout and adding
some KSS to keep the lock in place while an item's being edited.  In
an effort to avoid overextending myself, I'm not able to commit to
creating a new locking configlet (though based on Sidnei's comment
about the PloneLockManager product, which I was unaware of, that may
be less important).

In either case, I'd be glad to hear discussion regarding the best
approach to providing a useful locking system without leaving locks in
place accidentally or otherwise getting in the way.

David Glick
Web Developer
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the
environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidglick at onenw.org
work: (206) 286-1235 x32
mobile: (206) 679-3833

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup