[Framework-Team] Re: [Plone-developers] moving description to aviewlet

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Tue May 20 04:53:03 UTC 2008

Danny Bloemendaal wrote:

> >> I just feel that the description is not part of the content. It is
> >> metadata: it describes what the object is about. As such it does not
> >> have business appearing in view templates, especially not in the way
> >> it does now. That is a mistake Plone made long ago, and something we
> >> should fix at some point.
> >

> Yes, it was a bad choice to tie the description to the content back in
> the days. The problem started with placing the description widget at
> the top of the edit form while it should be at the bottom. After all,
> it is just before you save, you have to think of one or two sentences
> to describe WHAT the object is about for when people search for that
> item and see it in the listing. By placing it at the top, people
> always assume it is a lead in. Bad choice. Especially when people use
> it as a lead-in. Lead-ins are usually bad for search overviews. It
> hardly ever describes what the item is about.
>
> > I think with a bit more discussion and input, we could arrive at
> > this conclusion and consider a policy switch, but I think for 3.x
> > the ship's sailed. For a lot of people, the way that Description is
> > being used in views makes it a de-facto part of the "content" schema
> > (rather than the "metadata" schema) and so something that users very
> > much think of as a "lead-in" just as much as an abstract
> > "description for independent listings". We can't ignore that sunk
> > assumption either.
> >

> If people want a teaser or a lead-in, then the best way would be to
> add such a field. Then it's part of the content, can be placed on top
> of the edit form, just before the body (it's a lead-in after all). But
> I agree that the impact is maybe a bit too large.

An interesting conversation, thanks for surfacing an issue that's nagged
at the back of my head for a while.  I agree that right now the question
of "is Description only metadata or both visible content and metadata?"
is a bit ambiguous.  People are clearly using it as both right now, and
that is a source of pain & confusion.

I agree that we should have a stronger opinion about this in Plone 4.0.
Personally, I lean towards making it pure-metatadat and adding a
"lead-in" content field.

But... that leaves a migration issue, and here's what I'm wondering:

Would it be possible to provide some sort of decision point in the
migration (say from 3.x to 4.0) where the user gets a choice about
whether to copy the contents of the existing "Description" fields to the
new "Lead-in" fields if they were using Descriptions as human-readable
info?  This might allow us to reduce the pain of having a strong opinion.

best,
jon