[Framework-Team] moving description to a viewlet

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sun May 18 14:20:59 UTC 2008

The way we currently handle the description is a bit painful: Plone uses
the description as a proper description in places such as folder
listings and search results, but it also uses the description field as
introduction text when showing an object. This is awkward when writing
text: it is very hard or impossible to write text that works well for
both purposes in many cases.

For this reason it is not entirely uncommon to not want to show the
description field at all, or to display it somewhere else. This is
currently not possible since all content view templates have rendering
of the description field hardcoded. Even using archetypes.schemaextender
to mark the field as invisible in view mode does not work due to that
hardcoding.

To improve things a bit I propose that move the rendering of the
description field to a viewlet and put that in the
plone.abovecontentbody slot. That is trivial to do, does not change our
current pages and makes it possible to customize rendering of the field.

Long term I feel that we need to stop showing the description field in
view templates at all and only use it as a proper description of the
object, which can be shown instead of the content in places like search
results. Perhaps something to consider for Plone 4 :)

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.